We offer a phlebotomy service at both surgeries. Due to collection times appointments need to be carried out before 3.00 p.m.
Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test.
For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- check if you have an infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are working
- screen for certain genetic conditions
The healthcare professional who arranges your blood test will tell you whether there are any specific instructions you need to follow before your test.
For example, depending on the type of blood test, you may be asked to:
- avoid eating or drinking anything (fasting) apart from water, for up to 12 hours – read more about eating and drinking before having a blood test
- stop taking certain medicines
It’s important to follow the instructions you’re given, as it may affect the result of the test and mean it needs to be delayed or carried out again.