Concerned About Family Members Or Friends?

It can be distressing if a friend or relative refuses to get medical help.

However, unless they require treatment under the Mental Health Act, confidentiality means it is often difficult to help them get treatment.

You could make an appointment to discuss your concerns with that person’s doctor. You can raise concerns about your friend or relative’s health with their GP without their consent, but because of patient confidentiality, the GP won’t be able to discuss any details.

While this information can be helpful, it’s likely the doctor will only listen to what they are told and say little in response.

This is not rudeness or a sign your concerns are being ignored, but simply helping to protect the confidentiality of the other party.

You don’t have to belong to the same GP practice as your friend or relative to do this.

You could talk to your friend or relative directly if you wish to discuss their condition or treatment. Tell them about your concerns about their health, and offer help and support.

At the Reepham and Aylsham Medical Practice, if you have concerns regarding a family member or friend you can raise these concerns in the following way: